Bactrim Product Description
Bactrim is an antibacterial combination drug that is used for the treatment of infectious and inflammatory diseases. Bactrim has a bactericidal action against Gram-positive and Gram-negative pathogens. Bactrim’s effectiveness depends not only on the type of infection and the severity of the inflammatory process, but also on the localization of the infectious process.
Bactrim consists of two active components - sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. They exert a synergistic effect by blocking two enzymes that are catalyzing successive stages of biosynthesis of folinic acid in microorganisms. As a result, bacteria lose their ability to further develop and die quickly.
Synergistic effect of Bactrim, created by two active ingredients is a bactericidal effect at the concentrations at which the individual components of the formulation have a bacteriostatic effect. Furthermore, if some bacteria are resistant to one of the active components of the antibiotic the effectiveness of the drug does not decrease and Bactrim will operate with the same therapeutic activity.
Directions for the use
- Respiratory tract infections: acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, otitis media in children, pneumonia in adults and children, chronic bronchitis.
- Urinary tract infections: urethritis, pyelonephritis, cystitis.
- Abdominal infections: typhoid and paratyphoid fever, diarrhea travelers, cholera.
- Acute and chronic osteomyelitis.
Dosage and way of use
The decision of treatment course of Bactrim should be taken by a qualified doctor, provided that the appointment of single-composition antibiotic is impractical because of the weak performance against pathogens in the patient. If potent effect of this drug is needed, it is necessary to thoroughly examine the susceptibility of a patient's body, in respect of both active substances.
- Bactrim should be taken after a meal with a full glass of water.
- Each tablet contains 80 mg of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole 400 mg.
- The minimum dose for adults and children 12 years of age is 1 tablet 2 times a day.
- The minimum dose prescribed in case of liver\kidneys dysfunction, as well as during long-term therapy, that lasts more than 14 days.
- The optimal effective dose for adults is 2 tablets, 2 times a day (total daily dose is 4 tablets)
- For children under 12 years of age, the dosage is determined individually, depending on the severity of the infection, the age and weight of the child.
- Treatment should be continued for at least 5 days. If during the first week, there is no visible improvement of symptoms, you need to retake the examination and clarify infectious agents, as a result, correct the treatment.
- Bactrim is contraindicated, in some chronic and acute pathology in humans: severe renal failure, liver failure, anemia, leukopenia, recurrent asthma, thyroid disease.
- Bactrim is contraindicated in children less than 3 years of age and women during pregnancy and breastfeeding. In case of emergency use of the drug during lactation, it is necessary to transfer the child to artificial feeding.
- At long (over a month) courses of treatment you should take regular blood tests because there is a possibility of hematological changes.
Possible Side effects
Headache, dizziness, drowsiness, depression, lethargy, loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain, hallucinations - all of these side effects may occur in the first few days of treatment.
These adverse reactions are not a threat and tend to pass unnoticed. If in the course of treatment, side effects are increased, patient experiences a discomfort and an allergic reaction, taking Bactrim should be stopped and patient should consult a doctor.
Buy Bactrim no prescription