Augmentin Product Description
Augmentin is an antibacterial drug which is of interest for medical purposes. It is a representative of penicillin, however, it has unusual pharmacological properties. It contains two active components at once: Amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.
Amoxicillin is an effective antibiotic of the broad spectrum action which has a high therapeutic activity but weak acid resistance. That is why the use of this drug is ineffective in the treatment of the microorganisms which produce beta lactamase. Under the influence of such microorganisms the molecular structure of the antibiotic is destroyed and the pharmacological action of the drug loses its power.
Clavulanic acid is beta-lactamase compound which helps to increase the resistance of amoxicillin to beta-lactamase and broaden the spectrum of the antibiotic use. Augmentin may be used even during the infectious inflammatory diseases which were caused by the microorganisms resistant to penicillin and cephalosporin.
The therapeutic efficiency of the combined antibiotic Augmentin is several times higher than in other antibacterial drugs of penicillin class, and therefore this medicine is used for the severest inflammatory processes.
The mechanism of the action is bactericidal. The active components of Augmentin penetrate into the cells of the microorganisms, neutralize the formation of the elements which form the cellular wall of bacteria. The action of the drug develops quickly and differs by good tolerance.
Directions for the use
- Gonoccocal infection
- Acute sinusitis
- Streptococcic and acute tonsillitis
- Acute infections of the upper respiratory tracts of multiple localization
- Pneumonia caused by streptococcus pneumonia
- Acute bronchitis caused by streptococcus
- Chronic tonsillitis
- Inflammatory diseases of bone and soft tissues
- Cystitis, urethritis and other inflammatory processes in the urinary system
Dosage and way of use
- Tablets of Augmentin should be used before meals in order to reduce the side effects of the digestion tract.
- Adult patients are prescribed the dose of 250 mg 2 times a day.
- To increase the therapeutic effect the daily dose may be increased up to 500 mg (1,5 g a day) for severe infectious or inflammatory processes and gaining the adequate reaction.
- Children under 12 years old are prescribed the daily dose according to the scheme 40 mg per 1 kg of the body weight. The daily dose is divided into 3 equal uses.
- The minimal course of the antibacterial therapy is 5 days.
- The length of the treatment should not increase 14 days, and then it is needed to have all needed analyses and make sure of the efficiency of the drug or specify the diagnosis.
- Patients with disorder of renal/hepatic function may need the reduction of the daily dose.
- Augmentin is contraindicated in case of lymphatic leukemia, severe infections of the gastrointestinal tract, respiratory viral infections, allergic diathesis, bronchial asthma, individual intolerance of any components of the drug.
- Augmentin is not recommended during pregnancy except cases when the expected benefit for the mother exceeds the potential risk for the fetus.
- During the treatment there is no need to terminate the breast feeding.
Possible Side effects
Augmentin may cause light side effects: headache, dizziness, candidosis, sleep disorder, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and spasms.
These side reactions are the consequence of the pharmacological action of the drug and usually pass within 3-4 days after the beginning of the drug use. In the individual clinical cases, in case of the increased sensitivity to the components of Augmentin the side effects may be expressed strongly and the patient may have the allergic reaction. In these cases it is needed to consult a doctor.
Buy Augmentin no prescription
Overnight (1-3 business days) For USA only