Cephalexin Product Description
Cephalexin is a semisynthetic cephalosporin antibiotic of the first generation. It acts bactericidally by means of the inhibition of transpeptidase, a special enzyme of bacteria which takes part in biosynthesis of the cell wall of bacterium. Accordingly the pharmacological action consists in the destruction of the cell wall by means of the effect to the building processes. Due to the destruction of the cell wall microorganisms are not able to resist the outside environment, the process of development and reproduction is sopped and they totally die within a short period of time.
Staphylococcus, pneumococcus, streptococcus, collibacillus, collibacillus, salmonella, Haemophilus influenzae and many other causative agents are sensitive to the action of the antibiotic Cephalexin. Mycobacteria of tuberculosis and enterococcus are resistant to the action of this drug, and therefore there is no sense to take this medicine.
The active components of the drug are resistant in the acid environment. They are not destructed under the influence of enzymes of the gastric acid and completely absorbed from the gastro-intestinal tract penetrating into most liquids and tissues of the body. Most part of the drug is excreted by kidneys within 6 hours after the absorption from the gastrointestinal tract and only small part may be excreted with bile. Liver takes moderate part in the processing of the antibiotic, and thus patients with light diseases of liver may take this medication. They do not need the adjustment of the dose unlike patients who suffer from kidney diseases.
Directions for the use
- microbial infections of the respiratory tracts
- microbial infections of organs of the abdominal cavity
- microbial infections of the organs of the urinary tract and organs of the small pelvis
- inflammatory and infectious diseases of the skin
- inflammatory diseases of organs of the locomotive system
- Cephalexin capsules are used orally with enough of water.
- As the drug is acid resistant it may be used regardless of the meals.
- The dosage regimen for adults is 500 mg from 2 to 4 times per day
- If it is necessary to enhance the therapeutic effect during severe infectious diseases, the daily dosage may be temporarily increased up to 4 g. It is allowed to increase the daily dose only if the patient has no side effects.
- The dosage regimen for children younger than 7 years old is indicated 45 mg/kg a day. The daily dose should be divided into 3-4 uses.
- The course of the treatment is 10 days and then it is needed to have a medical examination and determine the efficiency of the therapy.
- In the period of the treatment it is prohibited to consume alcohol, Furosemide and also nephrotoxic antibiotics. They may increase the chance of the affection of kidneys and cause the side effects.
- The use of Cephalexin is contraindicated during diagnosing the following conditions: renal failure, increased sensitivity to cephalosporin and other antibiotics from the group of penicillin.
- Children under 6 months are not recommended to take the antibiotic.
- If the prescription of the drug is needed in the period of lactation, it is needed to terminate the breast-feeding.
- During pregnancy a decision about the use of Cephalexin should be made by your attending doctor.
Possible Side effects
Taking Cephalexin dysfunction of the gastro-intestinal tract (nausea, vomiting, stomachache, in rare cases diarrhea) is possible.
Among other side reactions it is needed to mention genital candidosis, dizziness, fatigue, headache, anxious excitement, confusion, hallucinations, arthritis, and disorders in joints.
As in all antibiotics Cephalexin has light side effects which do not need the medical intervention of the doctor. But in case appearance of the allergic reaction it is needed to inform your health care provider right away.
Where to Order Keflex?